Candida, also known as a yeast infection can be due to a fungal overgrowth. Vulvovaginal candidiasis is common in women and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases says that as many as 75% of women will have at least one yeast infection in their life. Between 40-45% will suffer at least two infections. Men are also susceptible to yeast infections but it is rare. Those with compromised immune systems are more susceptible to all forms of Candida. Many seek relief from a holistic health care practitioner for this condition to restore health to the immune system’s organs, including the bone marrow, thymus, spleen and liver. Restoring healthy gut flora and digestion is also key to changing the internal environment in the gastrointestinal tract. Most fungal or yeast infestations originate from a dysbiotic gut that is out of balance and an abnormal pH will be replicated in the vaginal canal.
Common Symptoms of Candida
- The infection appears on the skin as a patch of itchy, red skin and this is often leaking fluid. Around the rash there may be pustules and scabs. The groin area, between the breasts, toes, fingers, and navel are common areas that it occurs.
- When there’s a vaginal yeast infection there’s a leakage of a white material. The vagina tents to itch or burn during sex or urination. Pain with intercourse is a common symptom.
- In oral cases there are white patches inside the mouth. Those with it on the fingers have red and swollen fingers and the fingernail any come off or separate in extreme cases.
The Role of Nutrition and Candida
One way to reduce the times you get Candida is to adopt a whole foods diet with strict avoidance to sugars, starches and refined grains. The body requires whole food nutrition and many of us simply don’t receive enough nutrition in our daily lives as we rely far too often on processed foods. Whole foods help to restore organ function and allow the body to heal itself.
Foods to Include in Your Diet
- Coconut Oil – Rich in medium chain saturated fatty acids. They help to improve energy and support the function of the immune system. Many people have success with this oil as it’s a powerful Candida killer.
- Garlic – It works to prevent and reduce all infections. It helps the liver to remove toxins and detoxify a toxic colon.
- Onions – These have strong anti-bacterial properties and they help to flush fluids out of the body. Water retention is common in those that have Candida.
- Seaweed – A very mineral rich food, including high amounts of iodine which can balance the thyroid. Those with Candida can have thyroid challenges.
- Ginger – This can help to improve circulation and detoxify your liver. Ginger helps to reduce the inflammation and Candida overgrowth.
It is essential to reduce sugar intake as much as possible as well as increase the consumption of fermented food rich in probiotics (such as unpasteurized yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, etc) since they contain live bacteria cultures that are known to benefit a healthy colon. Processed foods and sugar can promote inflammation and the growth of Candida, so eliminate these from your diet. Make sure you increase your consumption of fiber rich vegetables as they will provide your body with soluble and insoluble fiber, essential to a gastrointestinal tract. Additionally, be sure to drink enough water for proper hydration.
Speak with a holistic health care practitioner for your safest and most natural options. With proper diet filled with whole foods, you can restore organ function and reduce or eliminate your symptoms altogether. Find out more about this condition here in these helpful articles.